Monday, May 26, 2014

10 Things I Want to Do This Summer

Greetings! I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what I wanted to write about for my first "official" blog post. Fortunately, I stumbled upon the Top 10 Things I Want to do Over Summer linky and knew it was perfect! What a great way to kick off my blog and my summer!

http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=2862345977&group=0&frame_type=a&blog=6840785&frame=1&click=0&user=0


My summer is going to be jam-packed! Between getting ready to teach this fall and trying to find a summer job, my vacation will be more work and less relaxation, and I am totally fine with that! Here are my top 10:

 1) Get my teaching license!

The second UNLV confers my degree I'm heading over to the Department of Education to apply for that bad boy!

 2) Begin preparing for my first year of teaching:

I have been fortunate enough to get a job at the school where I completed my student teaching. It's an amazing school with an even more amazing staff and admin! I am so thankful I will get to return there in August! I am so excited to start planning but I still don't know for sure which grade I will be teaching. I am techniquely hired as a 7th grade reading teacher, which means I would follow my little sixies up to the next grade. I would be totally fine taking this position as I would already know half of the students and would also be working with two of my mentors former student teachers. (My mentor is great an educational geneius!) (He needs an entire post to explain his greatness. A book, really)

My other possible position is 6th grade English. I would like this position just a little bit more because my mentor would be my counterpart. We would do nearly all of our planning together just like student teaching. Also, I have the entire 2nd semester planned because of student teaching. Um, yes please! Once I find out which position I will be in, then I can start really planning.

3) Find a Summer job:

I actually already found a summer job but it didn't work out, so back to the job hunt I go. I wanted to find a job scooping ice cream because I thought it would be fun and I LOVE ice cream. Of coarse, my twin got a job at Baskin Robins! Waaaah! Is there room for me?! Haha



4) Spend more time with my fur babies:

                
                 Charlie                                                                                                  Max

My kittens get so lonely during the school year. Summer time is when I can really pay them some attention (because the 3 other people in the house don't count in their book, for some reason. )


5) Fix my fireplace guard:

                            (Aside from the black dot on his head, he is usually snowball white...)

Need I say more?

6) Spend more time outdoors:



I love going hiking, fishing, and just being outside. I need to get my outdoor-fix before I become consumed with school in the fall.

7) Remember to bring sunscreen to all outings. 

I spent about an hour hiking a small trail by my house. This was the result.


8) Come up with a blogging schedule:



I really want to stick with this blog so I can document my first year of teaching. I think it will be a great resource for me to reflect and grow. I need to make a schedule and stick with it!

9) Eat healthier:



Now that I have a career I need to stop eating like a college student! My mentor sets such a great example when it comes to eating right and I need to follow it. For any stockholders out there, McDonald's sales numbers are about to go down dramatically.



10) Remember to relax!


Even though I have a lot to do this summer, I need to remember to set time aside to just relax and have fun. I do live in Las Vegas after all! A trip to the high roller may happen.

What are your summer plans? Please let me know, I would love to get to know some bloggers!



1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for stopping by BigTime Literacy to leave me a comment last weekend! Welcome to the blogging land...you're going to LOVE it! :-) How I wish I was blogging my first year of teaching - I would love to have all my experiences written down, but I don't even know if they had blogs around in like 2003-2004! hahha :-)

    Sounds like you've got a lot to do this summer, but you're so right about finding balance and making time for yourself. Remember that next year when you feel like you have to get you whole to do list done every day - you'll go crazy trying to make that happen!

    Looking forward to reading more about your and your adventures!
    Michelle
    BigTime Literacy

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I respond to all comments via email, so please make sure you aren't a no reply blogger. :)